18-19TH DEC 2018
MSP supported the HRIOs meeting which brought together all County Health Records and Information Officers, Association of Medical Records Officers (AMRO-K), private sector, civil society and other stakeholders to discuss the role of HRIOs in the UHC, Health cadre advocacy and strengthening of professional Association (AMRO-K).
UHC introduction to Phase 1- note that all 47 are in pilot phase but 4 has started actively with the aim of providing access to essential health care for all Kenyans and ensure 100% coverage on essential health services. UHC also intends to reduce financial barriers – increase the health budgetary allocation progressively from 6.7% to 15% of the annual budget by 2021for improvement of the overall quality of health services.
- Increase the health facility density in 14 Counties from 1.7:10,000 to 2:10.000
- Pilot phase Nov 2018 to Oct 2019 to Roll out Nov 2019 to Dec 2021- Implementation of UHC will be through a phased approach
- Equip 6200 health facilities
- Scale up to the remaining 43 Counties
- Health systems strengthening in 43 Counties (Apply lessons to the 43 Counties)
Role of County Governments
- Maintain a minimum of 30% budgetary allocation to health and increase subsequently.
- Increase in-patient through coding and indexing to get accurate data.
- Ensure adequate human resource for health.
- Facilitate functional referral system.
- Provide financial and non-financial reports.
- Support supervision, M&E.
Role of National Governments
- Policy guidelines, standards and regulation.
- Capacity building for human resources.
- Legal reforms.
- Performance monitoring, joint supportive supervision, M&E.
Role of Private sector
- Health service provision through private health facilities.
- Capacity building.
Role of FBOs/NGOs
- Health service provision through FBO health facilities.
- Capacity building.
Role of Training Institution
- Capacity buildings.
Role of CHRIOs
- Reporting of HSS at all levels.
- Collate, analyze and interpret county health statistics and share with stakeholders.
- Provide analyzed and vital health statistics at all time as required.
- Provide administrative health statistics for HRH, infrastructure, LMIS, HAS etc.
- Facilitate health facilities with MOH reporting tools.
- Link with NHIF, CBS, other stakeholders on HIS and management.
- Facilitate training for sub national level- HIS is beginning review of tools in which CHRIOs will be involved.
- Participate in performance monitoring & evaluating of UHC.
- Participate in planning and joint monitoring.
- Coordinate health facility assessment and reporting.
Enablers for UHC
- Priority (strong primary health care systems to deliver UHC).
- Enablers and UHC and other line Ministries.
- Review of the HRIO scheme of service.
- Improve quality of training by a) review of the training curriculum b) employment of experience lecturers and not fresh graduates from colleges.
- Full implementation of the Act of Parliament with formation of HRIM board.
- Counties to adopt EMR.
- All MOH tools to be reviewed in conformity with UHC.
- AMRO-K to organize for AGM and elect leaders.